RESOLUTIONS - A short extract for you.

A short extract from RESOLUTIONS (published on August 9th) and photos of the inspiring locations.
Carly settled into the passenger seat and took the opportunity to look at Ben as he drove out of town. He looked tired and drawn, very different from the cheery person she had met in Bella's or the man who had been so full of fun at the fair.
Once they were out on the quiet moorland road, he eventually spoke. His voice was almost a whisper. "I lied to you. I did try to ring you but I didn't want Savannah to know."
Carly narrowed her eyes. “I know you phoned me. I felt an idiot when you denied it."
"I’m sorry."
Why didn’t you want Savannah to know? Is she your girlfriend?"
Ben stared straight ahead, his hands gripping the steering wheel. "It's complicated.”
She pushed him further. "An explanation would help me to understand why you denied ringing me. We've got plenty of time, unless Savannah is expecting you back?"
Ben shook his head. "No, she’s not. Look, I think we should go somewhere where we can talk. We can’t really talk while I’m driving. Do you fancy stopping for something to eat? There’s an old inn, not far from here. Why don't we get some lunch?"
Within a few minutes Ben turned into the car park of an old thirteenth century inn. It perched on top of the moor with sweeping views around it. Carly caught sight of a reservoir, as the weak winter sun gave a slight glitter on water, at the bottom of the valley.
She smiled in appreciation. “This looks lovely. I bet the views are stunning in summer.”
As they entered the inn, she was charmed by the mullion windows, which faced the valley, giving diners a superb outlook. The walls were covered in horse brasses and old sepia photos of the inn in the past couple of centuries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Meet Paul Smith

I 'm delighted to introduce the multi-talented Paul Smith to you.  Many Yorkshire writers (born or living here) are now familiar w...